Saturday, August 27, 2011

More on the secret language of OYA

0 Comments

So these examples of oya (except the biber oyasi, pirpirli and sumbul oyasi) are very hard to find anywhere on the internet.  I also have not found any "decent" examples of the Mezar Tasi (Tombstone Oya) or the Cayir Cimen (Meadow Grass Oya) So I guess I'll just have to provide examples of those 2.  The Mezar Tasi is quite easy to whip up though, it consists of 5, 6, or 7 increased rows (depending on how big you want them obviously) and then about 5 or 6 non increased rows ( to form a rectangle and then to finish you decrease until you have 1 loop left.  Cayir Cimen I have not been able to find an example of so I'm thinking of giving the sources in Turkey (My partners mother ;) ) a call this week to find out how thats done.  I'm also thinking of posting the stitch names of oya here aswel, as many people claim that Armenians and Greeks (No offence to either, I'm not Turkish so you can't accuse me of being biased) invented oya and whatever, however many of their books, resources fail to provide names for the stitches.  However in Turkish, they do have names!  I believe its so much easier to know the stitch names, especially if you're speaking to someone half way around the world whos telling you how to do it using those stitch names!   Enjoy the pictures peeps, I'll be back soon! xx


Biber Oyasi (Pepper/Chilli Oya)

I call this one "pirpirli" which just describes the long loops (pirpir being the name for them)

Kaynana Dili (Mother in laws tongue

Cinar Yapragi (Sycamore leaves)

Sumbul Oyasi (Hyacinth Oya)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...